Teaching Healthy Concepts of Masculinity/Femininity
At the heart of most of the social ills that we are facing as a society are the issues of false masculine and feminine identity. The culture scripts men to equate their self-worth to their net-worth and women to see their beauty/body type from the outside in instead of from the inside out. These issues need to be corrected for young people to grow into healthy flourishing adults who are secure in their intrinsic worth.
Find a time during the season to have a conversation about the issues of masculinity and/or femininity with your athletes. The following video links provide great teachings on the real issues that young boys and girls are dealing with as they navigate the path to healthy adulthood.
After you play the video(s), process the content of the videos with your athletes. Once the issues have been raised and discussed, have your eyes open for teachable moments throughout the remainder of the season to expose the lies of masculinity/femininity or correct behaviors that find their motive in false definitions of manhood/womanhood.
- Be A Man by Joe Ehrmann (free TedTalk)
- The Mask You Live In by the Representation Project (Buy, Rent or Stream on Netflix)
- Other Masculinity Resources: InsideOut Coaching by Joe Ehrmann | Playbook for Manhood by Frank DiCocco
- The Sexy Lie by Caroline Heldman (free TedTalk)
- Miss Representation by the Representation Project (Buy, Rent or Stream on Netflix)
- Other Femininity Resources: Real Beauty Video Campaign by Dove.
Watch this video below to hear Mark Hull share a few more ideas about why this is an essential strategy for a 3D Coach.